Broiled Salmon with Mediterranean Lentils Recipe
I used to weight-train to keep myself in shape for my work as a volunteer firefighter, and I often prepared this dish. It’s loaded with fiber, protein and antioxidants. Now that I’m a stay-at-home mom, I make it to give me energy to chase the little ones. —Dawn Bryant, Thedford, Nebraska
- 1 small carrot, julienned
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup dried green split peas
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 salmon fillets (4 ounces each)
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, saute carrot and onion in oil until tender. Add the lentils, peas, garlic and capers; cook and stir 3 minutes longer.
- Add the water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until tender. Stir in lemon juice.
- Spritz fillets with butter-flavored spray; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 7-9 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve with lentil mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Broiled Salmon with Mediterranean Lentils in Healthy Cooking December/January 2013, p53
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Broiled Salmon with Mediterranean Lentils
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review