Broiled French Onion Casserole Recipe
- 2-1/2 pounds sweet onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1-1/2 cups bread cubes, toasted
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onions in 3 tablespoons butter until tender, about 25 minutes. In a small bowl, combine flour and pepper. Gradually add broth, stirring until smooth. Add sherry. Stir into onion mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Melt remaining butter and toss with bread cubes; sprinkle over the onion mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses. Broil 6 in. from the heat until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece: 242 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 336mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Broiled French Onion Casserole
"This recipe had a very good flavor. I felt like it bordered on being a little heavy on the sherry so next time I'll start with 1/8 cup, taste and add accordingly.. I think I cooked the onions almost an hour on low to medium and they were nice and soft. I burned a few of the bread crumbs under the broiler, so I will be sure to watch it more carefully next time."