Broiled French Onion Casserole Recipe
Sweet and saucy onions are a perfect companion to roast beef or pork. This recipe is a nice way to make the ordinary onion special. Anita Bukowski
- 2-1/2 pounds sweet onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1-1/2 cups bread cubes, toasted
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onions in 3 tablespoons butter until tender, about 25 minutes. In a small bowl, combine flour and pepper. Gradually add broth, stirring until smooth. Add sherry. Stir into onion mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Melt remaining butter and toss with bread cubes; sprinkle over the onion mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses. Broil 6 in. from the heat until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Broiled French Onion Casserole in Test Kitchen Favorites 2004 2005, p218
Reviews for Broiled French Onion Casserole(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review