Broiled Coconut Orange Cake Recipe
"The ingredients for this dessert come straight from the pantry," writes Lynda McCormick of Burkburnett, Texas. "It's a great little cake for nights when you want something sweet."
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1. In a bowl, combine the sugar, flour, baking soda and salt. Add mandarin oranges and egg; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter and milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.
- 3. Remove from the heat; stir in coconut. Pour over warm cake. Broil 6 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until top is browned. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 275 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 130 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC