Broiled Beef N Mushroom Bread Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 block (8 ounces) Colby cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1. In a skillet, cook beef, onion, green pepper, celery and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in the cheese, soup, mushrooms, olives, salt and pepper; mix well. Simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, cut the bread widthwise into four pieces, then cut each piece lengthwise. Place cut side up on greased baking sheets. Broil 4-5 in. from the heat until lightly toasted. Top with meat mixture. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until edges are browned. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 468 calories, 21 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 1,138 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.