Broccoli with Sesame
With a coating to tongue-tingling sauce an topping of crunchy sesame seeds, broccoli makes a fancy but fuss-free side dish. This vegetable is so nutritious that it's great to have a special way to serve it.
—Doris Heath, Bryson City, North Carolina
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen broccoli spears
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Cook broccoli according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small
- saucepan, combine oil, soy sauce, sugar and vinegar; heat on medium
- until sugar is dissolved and mixture is hot. Drain broccoli; place
- in a serving bowl. Drizzle with soy sauce mixture and sprinkle with
- sesame seeds. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with light soy sauce) equals 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat; also, 81 calories, 143 mg sodium, trace cholesterol, 9 gm carbohydrate, 2 gm protein, 3 gm fat.