This simple yet sophisticated side dish uses just a few basic ingredients. The way the bold garlic flavor blends with the smoky bacon makes ordinary broccoli irresistible. —Erin Chilcoat, Smithtown, New York
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bunches broccoli (about 3 pounds), stems removed, cut into florets
- 6 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Fill a 6-qt. stockpot two-thirds full with water; add salt and bring to a boil over high heat. In batches, add broccoli and cook 2-3 minutes or until broccoli turns bright green; remove with a slotted spoon.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon in pan.
- Add oil to drippings; heat over medium heat. Add garlic and pepper flakes; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until garlic is fragrant (do not allow to brown). Add broccoli; cook until broccoli is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in bacon; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli with Garlic, Bacon & Parmesan in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p12
Reviews for Broccoli with Garlic, Bacon & Parmesan
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 16, 2016
"Great side. I didn't have red pepper flakes, but hard to go wrong with bacon and parm."
Reviewed Apr. 22, 2015
"A bit spicy but my husband loved it!"
Reviewed Jan. 21, 2014
"i like this recipe...easy to make..taste good on top of pasta to..."