"This creamy cheese sauce is a great way to jazz up veggies," writes Sandy Spackman of Trenton, Utah. TIP: "Try any cheese you like," Sandy suggests. "For an elegant look, garish with minced parsley or grated egg whites."
Recommended: 40 Light-ish Recipes That Don't Skimp on Cheese
- 1 medium bunch broccoli, cut into spears
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash white pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Place the broccoli and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk the cornstarch, seasonings and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cheddar cheese and Worcestershire sauce until cheese is melted. Drain the broccoli; top with cheese sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli with Cheese Sauce in Quick Cooking July/August 2005, p48
Reviews for Broccoli with Cheese Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 6, 2013
"Are you kidding me? This nasty sauce ruined some perfectly good broccoli. I'm going back to Cheeze-Whiz."
Reviewed Feb. 8, 2010
"We loved this recipe! It also works great as a warm dip for bread or other vegetables."