Broccoli with Cheese Sauce Recipe
- 1 medium bunch broccoli, cut into spears
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash white pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1. Place the broccoli and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk the cornstarch, seasonings and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cheddar cheese and Worcestershire sauce until cheese is melted. Drain the broccoli; top with cheese sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
2 broccoli spears with about 2 tablespoons sauce (prepared with fat-free milk and reduced-fat cheese) equals 134 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 241 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 reduced-fat milk.