Broccoli with Cheese Sauce
"This creamy cheese sauce is a great way to jazz up veggies," writes Sandy Spackman of Trenton, Utah. TIP: "Try any cheese you like," Sandy suggests. "For an elegant look, garish with minced parsley or grated egg whites."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 medium bunch broccoli, cut into spears
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash white pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Place the broccoli and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and
- microwave on high for 3-5 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk the cornstarch, seasonings and
- milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir
- for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cheddar cheese and
- Worcestershire sauce until cheese is melted. Drain the broccoli; top
- with cheese sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2 broccoli spears with about 2 tablespoons sauce (prepared with fat-free milk and reduced-fat cheese) equals 134 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 241 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat,