Broccoli Wild Rice Soup
"My daughter relies on a boxed rice mix to get a head start on this rich and colorful soup," reports Janet Sawyer from Dysart, Iowa. "She likes to serve it to friends after football games in autumn, but it's a favorite with our family anytime of year."
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (6 ounces) chicken and wild rice mix
- 5 cups water
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup Diamond of California Slivered Almonds, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the rice, contents of seasoning packet
- and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10
- minutes, stirring once. Stir in the broccoli, carrot and onion.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in soup and cream cheese. Cook
- and stir until cheese is melted. Stir in almonds if desired. Yield:
- 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: One1-cup serving (prepared with reduced-fat, reduced-sodium soup and light cream cheese and without almonds) equals 178 calories, 6 g fat (0 saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 582 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.