Broccoli Tuna Casserole Recipe
- 5 cups uncooked whole wheat egg noodles
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 4 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 2 pouches (6.4 ounces each) albacore white tuna in water
- 1/3 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Transfer to a shallow 3-qt. or 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch, milk and seasonings until smooth; stir into pan. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese until melted; stir in broccoli and tuna.
- 3. Spoon over noodles; mix well. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Toss bread crumbs with melted butter; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, covered, 45 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 271 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 601 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.