Broccoli Sunflower Salad Recipe
The unique crunch of sunflower kernels and a zesty tang from a vinegar and sesame oil dressing turn basic broccoli into sensational salad. "We're on a low-carb diet, and this is one of our favorite dishes," informs Rick and Sheila Ellison from Prattville, Alabama.
- 2 quarts water
- 6 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
- 1. In a large kettle, bring water to a boil. Add broccoli; cover and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place broccoli in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, soy sauce, oil and sugar substitute. Pour over broccoli; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, stirring several times. Just before serving, stir in sunflower kernels. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (3/4 cup) equals 121 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 322 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC