The unique crunch of sunflower kernels and a zesty tang from a vinegar and sesame oil dressing turn basic broccoli into sensational salad. "We're on a low-carb diet, and this is one of our favorite dishes," informs Rick and Sheila Ellison from Prattville, Alabama.
- 2 quarts water
- 6 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
- In a large kettle, bring water to a boil. Add broccoli; cover and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place broccoli in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, soy sauce, oil and sugar substitute. Pour over broccoli; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, stirring several times. Just before serving, stir in sunflower kernels. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sunflower Broccoli Salad in Light & Tasty October/November 2004, p59
Reviews for Broccoli Sunflower Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review