Broccoli-Stuffed Tomatoes Recipe
"I'm a recent college graduate who's just starting to become an everyday cook. This is one of my childhood favorites and a nice alternative to stuffed peppers," says Ruth Schleusener of Stockton, Kansas.
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg white
- In a saucepan, bring broccoli and 1 in. of water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside. Cut a 1/2-in. slice off the top of each tomato; with a spoon or melon baller, hollow out each tomato, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Discard pulp. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice into each tomato; place upside down on paper towel for 10 minutes to drain.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. In a bowl, combine the flour, milk and broth until smooth. Stir into onion mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in Parmesan cheese, basil, salt, pepper and reserved broccoli. In a bowl, beat the egg white until stiff peaks form. Fold into broccoli mixture.
- Place the tomatoes in an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Spoon the broccoli mixture into each tomato, mounding in the center. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and the tops are golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli-Stuffed Tomatoes in Light & Tasty June/July 2002, p10
Reviews for Broccoli-Stuffed Tomatoes(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Side Dishes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Side Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Side Dish Recipes >