To say our broccoli crop is bountiful in summer is putting it mildly - it grows "like crazy" when we have light 24 hours a day for a month or two! I make sure to freeze plenty for this recipe, which makes a unique side dish for dinner when company's coming. My family's happy when these are on the menu.
- 3 large sweet Spanish onions (3 to 4 inches)
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Additional Parmesan cheese
- Peel and halve onions horizontally. Parboil in salted water for 10-12 minutes; drain. Leaving 3/4-in. edges, remove centers. Place onion shells in a greased 1-1/2-qt. shallow baking dish. Chop centers of onions to equals 1 cup. Combine chopped onion, broccoli, Parmesan cheese, mayonnaise and lemon juice; spoon into onion shells. In a saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and salt. Gradually add milk; cook until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and blend in cream cheese. Spoon sauce over onions. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and additional Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli-Stuffed Onions in Country Extra May 1993, p47
Reviews for Broccoli-Stuffed Onions
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 24, 2008
"Excellant side dish,will make again for sure."