To say our broccoli crop is bountiful in summer is putting it mildly - it grows "like crazy" when we have light 24 hours a day for a month or two! I make sure to freeze plenty for this recipe, which makes a unique side dish for dinner when company's coming. My family's happy when these are on the menu.
- 3 large sweet Spanish onions (3 to 4 inches)
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Additional Parmesan cheese
- Peel and halve onions horizontally. Parboil in salted water for 10-12 minutes; drain. Leaving 3/4-in. edges, remove centers. Place onion shells in a greased 1-1/2-qt. shallow baking dish. Chop centers of onions to equals 1 cup. Combine chopped onion, broccoli, Parmesan cheese, mayonnaise and lemon juice; spoon into onion shells. In a saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and salt. Gradually add milk; cook until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and blend in cream cheese. Spoon sauce over onions. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and additional Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli-Stuffed Onions in Country Extra May 1993, p47
Reviews for Broccoli-Stuffed Onions
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 24, 2008
"Excellant side dish,will make again for sure."