I was born in 1936 to a family of eight. Much of our food came from our garden and the henhouse at the back of our city lot. Mother served fried chicken every Sunday, but sometimes she surprised us with this creation. No arguments then as to who got what piece of chicken! —Donald Laugherty, Connellsville, Pennsylvania
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh broccoli
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Combine poultry seasoning, pepper, curry powder, garlic powder and salt; sprinkle over chicken. Combine broccoli and cheese; place half in the center of each chicken breast. Fold long sides over filling; fold ends up and secure with a toothpick.
- Place, seam side down, in an 8-in. square baking pan. Add broth. Cover pan loosely with foil. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove foil; baste the chicken with pan juices. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes longer or until meat juices run clear. Remove toothpicks before serving. Thicken pan juices for gravy if desired. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli-Stuffed Chicken in Reminisce Extra February 2000, p45
Reviews for Broccoli-Stuffed Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review