My grandmother made this when she cooked for our farmhands years ago. I've cut her recipe down to serve fewer people. I like to make this side dish when my garden is bursting with fresh vegetables and into the fall, when the colors and taste blend into the season. -Mildred Sherrer, Bay City , Texas
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sliced yellow summer squash
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, stir-fry broccoli in butter for 3 minutes. Add squash. Cook 3 minutes longer or until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the egg, Swiss cheese, milk, mustard and cayenne. Pour over vegetables. Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until set. Yield: 2-4 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli Squash Bake in Reminisce September/October 2000, p50
Reviews for Broccoli Squash Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review