After a full day of work, I like to make a supper that is easy and quick. This soup recipes is satisfying, nutritious and also very affordable.Joyce McDowell, West Union, Ohio.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups or 2 cans (14 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 large bunch broccoli (about 5 cups), chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 7 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil. Add broccoli, onion and
- bay leaves. Reduce heat and simmer until broccoli is tender; remove
- bay leaves. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in
- flour to make a smooth paste. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over
- medium heat until mixture is hot and thickened, stirring
- occasionally. Add 1 cup of broccoli stock to milk mixture; stir
- until well blended. Gradually add remaining broccoli stock to milk
- mixture. Heat and stir until well-blended. Season with salt and
- pepper. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 252 calories, 16 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 920 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein.