- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups julienned fully cooked ham
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed and patted dry
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour, white pepper and salt until blended; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in 1 cup cheese. Reduce heat; cook 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted (sauce will be thick). Remove from heat.
- Add potatoes, ham and broccoli to sauce; stir gently to coat. Transfer to eight greased 8-oz. ramekins.
- Bake, covered, 40 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Broccoli Scalloped Potatoes
"I really liked this recipe - tasty and simple - though I may have gone overboard on the cheese as there was definitely some oil/fat pooling at the top after baking. I used some leftover ham steak, fresh broccoli, mandolined russet potatoes, and a combination of Gruyere and mild gouda, all baked in a 9x13 dish. I did add more white pepper and thyme per another reviewer and thought it was a valuable addition. The broccoli does get extremely overcooked in the hour or so it takes to bake but I'm not sure how to remedy this either as it's not practical to dump and stir it in partway through."
"The Recipe was great as is, but I changed it up a little and loved it even more. I didn't have enough Swiss cheese so I used 1 1/4 cup of Swiss cheese and the other 3/4 cup of Asiago cheese. I feel like this gave it a stronger cheese flavor and complimented the other ingredients substantially. Thank you for the recipe :-)"
"5 stars because would be equally good as written. To fit my current cravings I added a diced jalapeo before baking and served steamed fresh broccoli on the side. Prep super easy with food processor. I don't have that size ramakins so I just put it in a casserole dish. Can't stop eating it"
"Great combination & loved having them in the individual serving dishes. Please could nutritional values be added as some of us are diabetic, on weight loss plans, etc & the values would be extremely helpful. Thank you"
"First time writing a review. Was halving it, just for the two of us. Have no individual ramekins so I put it all in one dish and wondered about it possibly needing longer baking time. Recipe says sauce will be thick. Believe it! Was so thick I couldn't stir everything together so I added some milk. Mistake! After baking for 40 minutes it was like soup., so I shook up some flour/water and stirred it in. Came out okay. Also had a small head of fresh broccoli in the fridge (we prefer fresh over frozen). It cooked to mush, even the stalks. It was good and hubby loved the meal. Not sure how to handle it next time. Stir the broccoli in after 20 minutes of baking? Swiss cheese goes naturally with ham and is a great change from all those dishes doused with cheddar.Be warned...it took longer than 20 minutes for the prep."
"Absolutely perfect! I wouldn't change a thing with this dish!"
"I found this recipe when looking for something to prepare using leftover ham. This was the perfect thing, very simple to make and full of warm, smoky flavor."
"Loved it! I used strong cheddar cheese instead of Swiss."
"Absolutely delicious!! Will be making it again and again :)"
"I added some Better Than Broth vegetable ~ and used Havarty cheese instead to give this a little more flavor... Delicious!"