Broccoli Sausage Simmer
"I created this meal-in-one dish when trying to use up a large head of broccoli," recalls Lisa Montgomery of Elmira, Ontario. "It's requested at least once a week in our home, which is handy for me since it's easy to prepare and we always have the ingredients."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a
- large skillet, cook sausage, broccoli and onion over medium-high
- heat 5-6 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Add tomatoes, basil, parsley and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Add pasta; heat through. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 569 calories, 32 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 1,394 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as