- 2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage, broccoli and onion over medium-high heat 5-6 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Add tomatoes, basil, parsley and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Add pasta; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Broccoli Sausage Simmer
"Oh gosh! This is ssooo good. I have a hard time finding recipes to put my homegrown herbs in, to where you can actually taste them in a dish, but this one really does showcase the herbs beautifully. I left out the onion just on personal preference. One of my favorite recipes."
"I just made this as an impromptu dish and it was great! Even with turkey kielbasa. The tomato juice thickened up nicely. The only thing I should've done was throw in the broccoli last - I used frozen broccoli that I defrosted to crisp tender. It held up ok, but I personally wanted the kielbasa and onions flavors to mingle first."
"I made this for my family and it was a hit! Even my picky four year old was scaring it down. Thank You."