Broccoli Risotto Recipe
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2-1/3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup uncooked long-grain or Italian Arborio rice
- 2/3 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1. In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Saute garlic and broccoli until garlic is soft, about 3 minutes. Add 1/3 cup chicken broth, 3 tablespoons parsley, and salt and paper to taste. Simmer, uncovered, just until broccoli is tender, about 6 minutes. Set aside.
- 2. Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large saucepan. Cook onion until tender, about 3 minutes. Add rice and stir until rice is coated. Add wine or broth; cook until wine is, stirring constantly.
- 3. In small saucepan, heat remaining broth and keep warm. Stir 2/3 cup warm broth into rice mixture. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat until all of the liquid is absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining broth, 1/3 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow the liquid to absorb between additions. Rice will be creamy and grains tender when done. (Total cooking time is about 25 minutes.)
- 4. Stir in the lemon juice, butter, 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and reserved broccoli. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and parsley. Serve immediately. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1/2 cup (calculated without salt and pepper) equals 247 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 473 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.