With green broccoli, golden cheese and sweet red peppers, this bountiful bake has plenty of eye appeal...and it makes a tasty and satisfying meatless entree or side dish. From Sun City West, Arizona, Gretchen Widner sent the recipe for her comforting rice-and-veggie combo.
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 4 ounces chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, cheese, egg substitute and garlic salt. Press firmly into a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the broccoli, mushrooms, red pepper and onion in a steamer basket over 1 in. boiling water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg substitute, milk, onion salt and pepper; stir in vegetables. Pour over crust. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli Rice Hot Dish in Light & Tasty April/May 2003, p55
Reviews for Broccoli Rice Hot Dish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 11, 2011
"Made this last night and was very bland. Had to add hot sauce to spice it up. I won't be making this one again."