Broccoli Orange Salad Recipe
Meet the Cook: Every time I take this sweet orangy salad to a potluck, I pass around the recipe, too. My husband and I have three children, ages 22, 18 and 10. He's a beef and poultry farmer, and I'm an elementary school teacher. -Cathy Lavers, Scotsburn, Nova Scotia
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:8-10 servings
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 4 cups broccoli florets (about 1 medium bunch)
- 1 cup salted cashews
- 1 cup cubed Swiss cheese
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, well drained
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion, optional
- 1. In a heavy saucepan, combine egg, sugar, honey, mustard and cornstarch with a whisk until smooth. Gradually whisk in water and vinegar. Cook and stir over medium heat until a thermometer reads 160° and mixture is thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in mayonnaise, sour cream and butter until blended. Cool.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine broccoli, cashews, cheese, oranges, raisins, bacon and onion if desired. Just before serving, add dressing and toss to coat. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 290 calories, 19 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 247 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC