A friend gave me this recipe years ago. It's a marvelous dish to go with any meat...also a vegetable dish that will "keep" if your dinner party happens to be running late!
6-8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen pearl onions
- 1 pound fresh broccoli, cut into spears
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a covered saucepan, cook onions in a small amount of water for 5
- minutes. Add broccoli; cook 5 more minutes. Drain. Place in a 2-qt.
- baking dish. In a small saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter; stir in
- flour, salt and pepper. Gradually add milk; cook and stir until
- thickened. Add cream cheese; stir until melted. Pour sauce over
- vegetables; sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Cover and bake at 350°
- for 30 minutes. Melt remaining butter; combine with crumbs. Sprinkle
- over casserole. Return to the oven, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 219 calories, 16 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 296 mg sodium,