Broccoli-Nut Stuffing Bake Recipe
Many years ago, a co-worker brought this great vegetable side dish to a potluck luncheon. Made with stuffing mix and accented with walnuts, it's appropriate for a holiday dinner or any meal.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:7 servings
- 3 pounds fresh broccoli, cut into spears or 3 packages (10 ounces each) frozen broccoli spears, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup plus 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups crushed seasoned stuffing
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup water
- 1. Place broccoli in a saucepan; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter; stir in flour and bouillon until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Pour over broccoli. Combine stuffing and walnuts. Heat water and remaining butter until melted; toss with stuffing mixture. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 7 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 439 calories, 33 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 1,028 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC