Because my family loves muffins, I'm always on the lookout for new variations. When I tried these nutritional muffins the first time, they were really a hit and became a favorite addition to our big family meals.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli, blanched
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, mix milk, oil and egg; stir into dry ingredients
- just until moistened. Fold in broccoli and cheese.
- Spoon into greased or paper-lined muffin cups. Bake at 400° for
- 18-20 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Yield:
- 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 muffin (prepared with skim milk, egg subsititute equivalent to 1 egg and reduced-fat cheddar cheese) equals 181 calories, 8 g fat (0 saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 129 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.