Broccoli Muffins Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli, blanched
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, mix milk, oil and egg; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in broccoli and cheese.
- 2. Spoon into greased or paper-lined muffin cups. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 muffin (prepared with skim milk, egg subsititute equivalent to 1 egg and reduced-fat cheddar cheese) equals 181 calories, 8 g fat (0 saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 129 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.