Broccoli Mashed Potatoes
In Charlotte, North Carolina, Jim Hadley makes mashed potatoes with a twist--he adds broccoli to the mix! "I get rave reviews whenever I serve this low-fat dish," he writes.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds small unpeeled red potatoes, cubed
- 2 fresh broccoli spears
- 1-2/3 cups chopped onions
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove broccoli
- florets from stems. Peel stems and cut into 1/4-in. slices; cut
- slices in half. Add florets and stems to potatoes; cook 10-12
- minutes longer or until potatoes and broccoli are tender; drain
- In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook onions until
- tender. Drain potato mixture. Add onions, sour cream, salt and
- pepper; mash. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 119 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 413 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 starch.