My husband made a version of this casserole for me on our first date. Over the 11 years we’ve been married, we’ve made several changes to the ingredients and now it’s even better than the original. —Lisa DeMarsh, Mount Solon, Virginia
- 3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup crushed cornbread-flavored crackers (about 6 crackers)
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, adding broccoli during the last 3-4 minutes; drain.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper and salt until smooth; gradually stir in evaporated milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in 2 cups cheese.
- Place half of the macaroni and broccoli in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with half of the cheese sauce. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with cracker crumbs and remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli Mac & Cheese Bake in Country December/January 2010, p51
Reviews for Broccoli Mac & Cheese Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review