"I enjoy creating special dishes for my family and friends," writes Lupie Molinar from Tucson, Arizona. "Although I don't make sandwiches often, these attractive turnovers with their fresh-tasting filling are an exception."
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pastry for double-crust pie
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- Place broccoli in a steamer basket over 1 in. of boiling water in a saucepan. Cover and steam for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse in cold water; drain well. In a bowl, combine broccoli, cheese, ham, onions, parsley, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- On a floured surface, roll out pastry; cut each in half. Place 1-1/2 cups filling on one side of each half; flatten filling with a spoon. Combine egg and cream; brush some over pastry edges. Fold pastry over filling. Seal edges and prick tops with a fork.
- Place on a baking sheet; brush with remaining egg mixture. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli Ham Turnovers in Quick Cooking March/April 2000, p53
Reviews for Broccoli Ham Turnovers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 12, 2015
"It's ok. I think the filling could use a sauce. Maybe make a simple cheese sauce to go inside. I like the idea though."