You won't have to pay a pretty penny to prepare this special-looking Sunday supper. The golden brown puff pancake makes a tasty main dish for brunch, lunch or dinner when filled with a creamy ham and broccoli mixture. It's reasonably priced at only 90¢ a wedge. —Edna Hoffman Hebron, Indiana
Recommended: Extra-Special Recipes for Breakfast in Bed
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Place butter in a 10-in. ovenproof skillet; melt in a 425° oven for 3-4 minutes or until melted. In a small bowl, beat the flour, eggs and milk until smooth. Pour into prepared skillet. Bake at 425° for 22-25 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add the remaining filling ingredients. Cook for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon into center of puff pancake. Cut into wedges; serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli-Ham Puff Pancake in Quick Cooking May/June 2001, p27