Broccoli-Ham Hot Dish Recipe
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen cut broccoli
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs (about 2-1/2 slices)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/2 pounds fully cooked ham, cubed
- Shredded cheddar or Swiss cheese
- Cook broccoli according to package directions; drain. Spoon rice into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Place broccoli over rice.
- Melt butter in a large skillet. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of melted butter over the bread crumbs and set aside. In remaining butter, saute onion until soft. Add the flour, salt and pepper, stirring constantly until blended; stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add ham.
- Pour over rice and broccoli. Sprinkle with crumbs. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Broccoli-Ham Hot Dish(7)
Sort By :
I've been making this since the recipe came out in the 1990s! and sometimes make double the breadcrumbs and milk mixture. This recipe is AMAZING!
Mmm, good comfort food!
I've made this dish a number of times, so far only with Swiss cheese.
I have made this again; it is still very good! This time I made it for someone else,so I put ham in it as well as half cooked broccoli and half cooked cauliflower and used 1can of cream of broccoli and cheese soup and 1 soup can of milk. Thank you again for this recipe!
This was easy to make and tasted oh so yummy! I didn't add all the milk (just over 2 cups) and substituted the fresh bread crumbs for Panko bread crumbs (to make it a bit crispy) and then put it back in the oven after I sprinkled the swiss cheese on it so that it all melted together! So good and will definitely make again.
I made a few modifications to this & it received RAVE REVIEWS! Instead of the milk gravy, I used 2 cans condensed soup (cream of chicken & onion - what I had on hand). I sauteed the onion in a teaspoon olive oil w/ garlic, added the ham; stirred in 2 cans soup & 1 can milk. Seasoned w/ pepper. Poured over rice & broccoli. Topped with a generous handful of cheddar cheese. No breadcrumbs, butter, or flour! Delish!!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Ham >
- Broccoli Casserole >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Easter Dinner Recipes >
- Easter Main Dish Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Ham Recipes >
- Pork Casserole >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >