Broccoli-Ham Hot Dish Recipe
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen cut broccoli
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs (about 2-1/2 slices)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/2 pounds fully cooked ham, cubed
- Shredded cheddar or Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook broccoli according to package directions; drain. Spoon rice into a 13x9-in. baking pan. Place broccoli over rice.
- Melt butter in a large skillet. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of melted butter over the bread crumbs and set aside. In remaining butter, saute onion until soft. Add flour, salt and pepper, stirring constantly until blended; stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Add ham.
- Pour over rice and broccoli. Sprinkle with crumbs. Bake 30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Broccoli-Ham Hot Dish
Sort By :
"I've been making this since the recipe came out in the 1990s! and sometimes make double the breadcrumbs and milk mixture. This recipe is AMAZING!"
"I have made this again; it is still very good! This time I made it for someone else,so I put ham in it as well as half cooked broccoli and half cooked cauliflower and used 1can of cream of broccoli and cheese soup and 1 soup can of milk. Thank you again for this recipe!"
"This was easy to make and tasted oh so yummy! I didn't add all the milk (just over 2 cups) and substituted the fresh bread crumbs for Panko bread crumbs (to make it a bit crispy) and then put it back in the oven after I sprinkled the swiss cheese on it so that it all melted together! So good and will definitely make again."
"I made a few modifications to this & it received RAVE REVIEWS! Instead of the milk gravy, I used 2 cans condensed soup (cream of chicken & onion - what I had on hand). I sauteed the onion in a teaspoon olive oil w/ garlic, added the ham; stirred in 2 cans soup & 1 can milk. Seasoned w/ pepper. Poured over rice & broccoli. Topped with a generous handful of cheddar cheese. No breadcrumbs, butter, or flour! Delish!!"
"This is very good; I use chicken or turkey only because I don't like ham. Is there any way I can make this in a slow cooker?? I have a potluck to go to and am not sure what to bring, but this is good and will feed a lot of people. Thanks for posting this recipe."