Sheets of easy-to-use phyllo dough create a crisp buttery crust for this comforting entree from Nancy Granaman. "This egg and vegetable pie always gets thumbs-up approval from my sons and husband," says the Burlington, Iowa cook.
Featured In: 22 Leftover Ham Recipes
- 12 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen broccoli cuts, thawed and patted dry
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Spritz one sheet of phyllo dough with butter-flavored spray. Place in a 9-in. pie plate coated with cooking spray; allow one end of dough to overhang edge of plate by 3-4 in. (Until ready to use, keep phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent drying out.) Repeat with remaining phyllo, overlapping the sheets (staggering the points around the plate) and spritzing with butter-flavored spray between each layer.
- In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, ham, cheese, onion, parsley, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper; spoon into crust. Combine egg substitute and milk; pour over broccoli mixture. Fold edges of dough over filling toward center of pie plate. Spritz edges with butter-flavored spray.
- Cover edge of crust with foil. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes. Remove foil. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 30-35 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli-Ham Cheese Pie in Light & Tasty December/January 2006, p8
Reviews for Broccoli-Ham Cheese Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 17, 2009
"This is a staple in our house. It is delicious and parts of it can be made ahead of time and then quickly assembled. I highly recommend this!"