These cute cakes offer a fun and kid-friendly way to use up broccoli. They're tasty as a side dish paired with any meat, or serve them with salsa and a dollop of fat-free sour cream for a festive appetizer. —Tracy Eubanks, Ewing, Kentucky
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Salsa, optional
- Place broccoli in a steamer basket; place in a small saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Coarsely chop broccoli and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, cheese, flour, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Stir in broccoli.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by 2 heaping tablespoonfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten. Cook in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown, using remaining oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Serve with salsa if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli Fritters in Healthy Cooking June/July 2010, p42
Reviews for Broccoli Fritters
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review