Broccoli Fritters Recipe
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Salsa, optional
- 1. Place broccoli in a steamer basket; place in a small saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Coarsely chop broccoli and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, cheese, flour, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Stir in broccoli.
- 3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by 2 heaping tablespoonfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten. Cook in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown, using remaining oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Serve with salsa if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
2 fritters (calculated without salsa) equals 129 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 334 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Broccoli Fritters
"Didn't care for them. As another reviewer stated...I'd rather have steamed broccoli with parmesan cheese. So disappointed!!!"
"What a great side dish and way to do something different with garden fresh broccoli."
"I haven't made these yet but they look similar to a recipe I do make using finely chopped steamed cauliflower. My recipe also has some chopped yellow or white onion in the batter. Try it."
"These were definitely lacking in flavor. I would rather just have steamed broccoli with a little parmesan cheese."
"I love this recipe, mostly because it's the only way my children willingly eat broccoli! I have used both fresh and frozen broccoli, and we have eaten them plain or with a dollop of sour cream. This pairs nicely with grilled meats (we also often serve it with the honey lime chicken)."
"we love broccoli so decided to try this, it turned out great! But instead of fresh broccoli I used frozen broccoli as I did not want to go to the store for fresh. will surely make this again."
"Good finger food for children...good recipe. Will make again"
"Made this recipe as stated. This one wowed my grandchildren....will make again."
"As a previous reviewer did, I made these with honey lime walleye (instead of chicken) and they were fantastic. A little salty for my taste, but otherwise loved them. I also had a soy chile aioli dipping sauce to go with them, but it really wasn't necessary."
"Made tonight with honey lime chicken. The broccoli fritters were great. I did not try salsa. I may double the batter mix as mine was not as battered as shown."
"We all love broccoli. It was very good. But needs a little spice to even out the taste of the broccoli. I will add a dash of spice to it next time. I served it as side with pork chops. Maybe change the cheese up. Like pepper jack for a kick or swiss. Or Mrs. Dash Southwest for a twist. Thanks for different way to eat broccoli. Nancy"
"I made these tonight...GOOD!!!! I didn't try them with Salsa this time, but maybe next time."