My family loves this creamy vegetable side dish. As pretty as it is tasty, it's an extra-special way to serve broccoli, and it really dresses up a table.
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) corn bread stuffing mix
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen broccoli spears, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the water, 1/4 cup butter and seasoning packet from stuffing mixes; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; add stuffing crumbs and toss. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Spoon stuffing around edges of greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Place broccoli spears in center of dish. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining butter. Stir in the flour, bouillon and salt until smooth. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add cream cheese; stir until melted. Add onions; mix well. Pour over broccoli. Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese and paprika. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli Elegant in Country Woman Christmas 1996, p20
Reviews for Broccoli Elegant
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review