My family loves this creamy vegetable side dish. As pretty as it is tasty, it's an extra-special way to serve broccoli, and it really dresses up a table.
Recommended: 5 Do-able, Delicious Menus for Mother's Day
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) corn bread stuffing mix
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen broccoli spears, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the water, 1/4 cup butter and seasoning packet from stuffing mixes; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; add stuffing crumbs and toss. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Spoon stuffing around edges of greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Place broccoli spears in center of dish. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining butter. Stir in the flour, bouillon and salt until smooth. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add cream cheese; stir until melted. Add onions; mix well. Pour over broccoli. Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese and paprika. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli Elegant in Country Woman Christmas 1996, p20
Reviews for Broccoli Elegant
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 26, 2010
"I prepared it the day before and put it in an electric roasting pan. Next year I may try it in the crockpot. Everyone loved it! I would definitely make this again."