Broccoli Cream Soup Recipe
This soup has a wonderful fresh flavor. I've never had a better broccoli soup.—Beth Hart, Walworth, New York
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Cook: 10 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 9 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Pinch each dried basil, thyme and rubbed sage
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring broccoli and broth to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes. In a small skillet, saute onion in 2 tablespoons of butter until tender; add to broccoli mixture. Stir in the bay leaf and remaining seasonings. simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- 2. In a small saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into broccoli mixture; add buttermilk and cream. Heat through (do not boil). Discard bay leaf. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 265 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 1,005 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC