- 9 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Pinch each dried basil, thyme and rubbed sage
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 7 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large saucepan, bring broccoli and broth to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes. In a small skillet, saute onion in 2 tablespoons of butter until tender; add to broccoli mixture. Stir in the bay leaf and remaining seasonings. simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into broccoli mixture; add buttermilk and cream. Heat through (do not boil). Discard bay leaf. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Broccoli Cream Soup(3)
Sort By :
A good recipe; liked the buttermilk in it. Calls for too much broccoli. One head or one box frozen is plenty.
This like my mom made. Would recommend others to try. Easy to do.
Made a double batch for a wedding shower, everyone loved it. Nice and creamy.