- 9 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Pinch each dried basil, thyme and rubbed sage
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large saucepan, bring broccoli and broth to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes. In a small skillet, saute onion in 2 tablespoons of butter until tender; add to broccoli mixture. Stir in the bay leaf and remaining seasonings. simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into broccoli mixture; add buttermilk and cream. Heat through (do not boil). Discard bay leaf. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews forBroccoli Cream Soup
"The buttermilk gives this recipe its distinctive flavor. I have been making this Broccoli Cream soup since it originally was published in Taste of Home--outstanding!"
"Made exactly per recipe and it was yummy and full of flavor! Might try varying the vegetables next time, just for fun."
"I am a 5 Star Chef Of The Future....I always add my own twist on these recipes....Added Broccoli 2 medium bunch Broccoli and 1 Small head Cauliflower, Carrots, Potatoes, dice small. After putting all ingredients together and cook, I poured 1/2 into blender and pureed, added back to soup, WOW, WOW. I served with lightly toasted French Garlic bread...A meal fit for a King/Queen....lol....lol....Yummmmm. A great fall comfort soup..."
"A good recipe; liked the buttermilk in it. Calls for too much broccoli. One head or one box frozen is plenty."
"This like my mom made. Would recommend others to try. easy to do."
"Made a double batch for a wedding shower, everyone loved it. Nice and creamy."