Broccoli Crab Bisque Recipe
"For a casual company meal, I serve this creamy soup along with miniature ham sandwiches," writes Karen Balistrieri from Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. "Sometimes we leave the bay leaf in the soup as a sign of good luck for the person who gets it in their bowl," she adds.
- 1 cup sliced leeks (white portion only)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained
- In a large saucepan, saute the leeks, mushrooms and broccoli in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the flour, thyme, pepper and bay leaf; mix well. Stir in broth and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the cheese and crab; stir until cheese is melted and soup is heated through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Broccoli Crab Bisque in Quick Cooking January/February 2002, p35
Reviews for Broccoli Crab Bisque
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 24, 2011
"I doubled the recipe & used 1 whole leek, omitted the mushrooms & added some shrimp to it. I would make this again the family loved it and it was very simple to make"