Sue Call of Beech Grove, Indiana serves this comforting soup on chilly stay-at-home evenings. Nutmeg seasons the light creamy broth that's chock-full of tender broccoli florets and diced potatoes.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Bring to a
- boil. reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-14 minutes or until
- vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and nutmeg
- until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for
- 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into vegetable mixture; heat
- through. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 200 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 561 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.