- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Bring to a boil. reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-14 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and nutmeg until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into vegetable mixture; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Broccoli Chowder
"I sometimes substitute cut spaghetti or fine egg noodles for the potatoes."
"Easy to make, good flavor. We added about one cup of shredded Colby Jack cheese. Next time I will use half the amount of pepper."
"Just made this soup again for supper. It is my go to broccoli soup recipe. Easy and we love it. Only thing I do differently is omit the salt and nutmeg and I use an ordinary onion. Delicious!!!"
"Really liked this recipe. Great to freeze and reheat too."
"Very yummy! Creamy the way I like broccoli soup."