Broccoli Chowder Recipe
Sue Call of Beech Grove, Indiana serves this comforting soup on chilly stay-at-home evenings. Nutmeg seasons the light creamy broth that's chock-full of tender broccoli florets and diced potatoes.
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Bring to a boil. reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-14 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and nutmeg until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into vegetable mixture; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli Chowder in Country Woman September/October 2001, p41
Reviews for Broccoli Chowder(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review