This saucy, comforting casserole will draw compliments when it's served at your next potluck dinner. Try the Supreme Sauce with leftover or cooked meats, fish or vegetables.
- 6 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Place broccoli in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 5-7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer 4 cups chicken, two-thirds of the mushrooms, two cans of water chestnuts and 4 cups broccoli. In a greased 8-in. square baking dish, layer the remaining chicken, mushrooms, water chestnuts and broccoli.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in the flour, seasoned salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add broth and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan; cook and stir until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice and nutmeg.
- Pour 3 cups sauce over the large casserole and remaining sauce over the small casserole; sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli Chicken Supreme in Taste of Home February/March 2008, p39
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Broccoli Chicken Supreme
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review