Get the benefits of broccoli while enjoying a guilt-free casserole. Phyllis Schmalz of Kansas City, Kansas shares this satisfying and simple-to-prepare dish.
- 4 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick saucepan over medium heat, cook onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Drain noodles; place in a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Stir in 1 cup sauce. Layer with the chicken, broccoli and remaining sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Broccoli Bake in Healthy Cooking April/May 2008, p48
Reviews for Broccoli Chicken Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review