Broccoli Cheese Soup for 2 Recipe
“When my husband and I visit fresh food stands, we often come home with more veggies than we can eat. This is a great way to use up broccoli,” says Marge Hill of Glenside, Pennsylvania.
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion and garlic until tender. Stir in flour until blended; cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 2. Add the broccoli, tarragon, thyme and pepper; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender. Add milk; cook, uncovered, 5 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- 3. In a blender, process soup until smooth. Return to pan and heat through (do not boil). Stir in 1/2 cup of cheese until melted. Sprinkle servings with remaining cheese. Yield: 2 servings.
1 cup (prepared with reduced-sodium broth) equals 232 calories, 13 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 578 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC