Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- In a large saucepan, bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Add carrots, broccoli and celery; cover and boil for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, saute onion in butter. Add flour and stir to make smooth paste. Gradually add chicken broth and milk. Cook until mixture thickens, about 8-10 minutes. Add vegetables; heat until tender. Add cheese; heat until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Broccoli Cheese Soup(18)
Sort By :
Made this to use up some vegetables I had in the fridge. Was very happy with the results. I have passed some out to some friends. I will definitely make it again. Thanks. May put some in the freezer for later.
I love this soup. always make a double batch.
We usually make a double batch of this one. We use 1% milk and 2% Velveeta and it still turns out great. We add a little salt, peppercorn pepper and Cholula to give it a little more flavor. It freezes great!
I steamed my veggies so they didn't get too mushy. I don't like to boil all the goodness out of them. I love celery so used 2 cups of that as well. Absolutely fantastic soup.
Very rich. I put half of the cheese and it was still too rich, but my husband loved it.