Broccoli Cheese Soufflé Recipe
This recipe is from my mom's fabulous collection. Without fail, I serve it every holiday and the dish gets emptied every time. It's a clever way to get kids to eat broccoli. Marilyn Rockwell, Lynden, Washington
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoons dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups cooked chopped broccoli, patted dry
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Separate the eggs. Let yolks and whites stand at room temperature for up to 30 minutes. Grease a 2-1/2-qt. souffle dish and dust with bread crumbs; set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in broccoli and onion. Remove from the heat; stir in egg yolks until combined. Cool slightly. Stir in mayonnaise.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Stir a fourth of the egg whites into the broccoli mixture. Fold in remaining whites. Transfer to prepared souffle dish. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
- Bake at 325° for 38-42 minutes or until top is golden brown, a toothpick inserted near the side comes out clean and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Serve immediately. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli Souffle in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p146
Reviews for Broccoli Cheese Soufflé(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review