- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup cooked chopped fresh or frozen broccoli
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add broccoli. Cook and stir until heated through. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Sort By :
This was such a simple recipe and my family loved it. We like a lot of broth so I used 2 cups of whole milk (because that's what we have for the baby), 2 cups chicken broth and 1 1/2 cups of cheese to balance out the liquid addition. I used 1 head of broccoli chopped fine. I served the soup with fried bologna and tomato sandwiches. It was the perfect end-of-summer dinner!
P.S. Like others, I also found this soup to be a bit too thick. Another reason I added the additional milk and broth. Maybe use a bit more butter than flour?
I enjoy soup every now and then, but my son is allergic to potatoes so that limits what we can have. This was a great soup and I'm sure we'll be having it again.
I like that this recipe uses fresh, simple ingredients. I like to swap out the regular cheddar for sharp.
now that fall is here, it is soup time and i like a good brroccoli cheddar soup. this is good but i feel that it could be improved by using half and half and sharp cheddar cheese to improve the flavor. also a couple of drops of hot sauce could spice it up a bit.
How do i make it less thick. Also my flour clumped together before I even put the milk and broth in. did i use to much flour or not enough butter?